The government believes the Pupil Premium is the best way to address the current underlying inequalities between children eligible for free school meals (FSM) and their wealthier peers by ensuring that funding to tackle disadvantage reaches the students who need it most.
The Pupil Premium (PP) is a government initiative designed to target resources on those pupils deemed to be from a disadvantaged background. Specifically the Pupil Premium money is provided for those pupils who have been on Free School Meals (FSM) at any point over the past 6 years (Ever 6). For the year 2017/2018 the Pupil Premium has a value of £935 per eligible pupil (FSM/Ever 6) and £2300 for Looked After Children or Post LAC.
The Service Pupil Premium (SPP)
There is also a smaller provision of £300 made for those pupils who have a parent in the armed services. Pupils attract the SPP if they meet the following criteria:
- one of their parents is serving in the regular armed forces;
- they have been registered as a ‘service child’ in the school census at any point since 2011;
- one of their parents died whilst serving in the armed forces and the pupil receives a pension under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme or the War Pensions Scheme;
- pupils with a parent who is on full commitment as part of the full time reserve service are classed as service children.
Service personnel with children in state schools in England only have until 17 January 2019 to notify schools of their children’s eligibility for the Service Pupil Premium (SPP). Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if your child meets the criteria.
For more information on the SPP please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-service-pupil-premium/service-pupil-premium-what-you-need-to-know
Supporting Co-Curricular Opportunities
The school believes in supporting all students to access additional co-curricular activities; any financial subsidy will be based on the individual circumstances and the number of students who apply at any given time, in the interests of equity. If your child is currently in receipt of Free School Meals, or has been in the last 6 years, and you would like them to participate in a trip or experience offered as an optional extra at the school, but require some financial assistance to do so, please contact email@example.com.
- NYCC Achievement Unlocked Evaluation 2017/18