Rossett News Update - 20 October 2023
Year 11 Supporting Your Child Evening & Sixth Form Information Evening
As part of our continued commitment to helping students achieve their best possible grades at GCSE, we welcomed parents of all students in Year 11 to our, ‘Supporting Your Child Evening’ last night. We also launched our new Sixth Form Prospectus and provided information about our Sixth Form provision for next year.
The evening offered practical advice and useful revision tips and techniques, as well as information about support material. Parents/carers were taken through how to prepare a revision plan and source revision help and guides and given some information on past papers. Mr Milburn spoke about the plans for post-16 provision and is looking forward to working with current Year 11s to shape this.
American Exchange Departs
Our students taking part in the 2023 American Exchange had an early start yesterday as they set-off for Falmouth, Maine. The students will enjoy two weeks of fantastic experiences with both their host families and as a group. The students received a fantastic welcome when they arrived in Maine and spent their first day getting to know their host family and local area.
From educational visits taking in the areas history to fun activities enjoying American culture and sporting events, the students have a packed itinerary, finishing their trip with two days in Boston. The students and supporting staff arrived safely in America and will spend the first few days settling in with their host families before taking part in visits which includes a pumpkin farm, Portland Head Lighthouse, Fore River Sanctury and Jewell Falls to name but a few!
Our Rossett Heroes this week are:
- Stanley Welford in Year 13 was overheard speaking to some of our younger students by Mrs Bulmer. Stanley apparently had no idea that Mrs Bulmer was there and she could hear him offering very useful advice to some of our younger students, regarding how they should conduct themselves in certain situations. His advice was friendly, useful and in line with our Rossett values. Thank you Stan for helping some of our younger students – you are a Rossett Hero.
- Ms Megginson nominated Jack Nelson in Year 10 after she witnessed him being extremely helpful and kind in a Business Studies lesson. Jack helped to explain the work to a fellow student and offered further help if needed. Every act of kindness, no matter what it is, helps to make our Rossett community the wonderful place that it is. Thank you Jack!
- Finally, from Ms Kidd “I would like to nominate Harriet Morris and Elena McKenzie. On Wednesday a member of my form had fallen in the art corridor and hurt her back. Harriet and Elena helped get a staff member to watch my form and then they both helped me to ensure that this student was able to get to first aid. This was such a big responsibility for them and they helped me without hesitation. They were both amazing and definitely deserve a Rossett hero award.” Well done girls and thank you for being so kind and mature, you are Rossett Heroes!
If you were nominated as a Rossett Hero, this week please go to student reception to collect your reward and certificate.
To find our next Rossett Heroes, we need you! Do you know of any member of the Rossett community that deserves recognition as a Rossett Hero? No matter how big or small you believe the act to be, we want to hear from you - every nominated person will be recognised and congratulated even if they don't make it into the newsletter that particular week.
Please email Mr Otway email@example.com if you have witnessed or experienced an act of kindness that we might not be aware of.
"Remember there's no such thing as a small act of kindness. Every act creates a ripple with no logical end." - Scott Adams
Headteacher Friday 5 Awards
Well done to all of the students who received a Friday 5 Headteachers Award this week. These students have been nominated by members of staff for exemplifying Rossett School's 5Rs culture of learning. This week's winners are:
- Merryn Hodson
- Robert Farnell
- Jacob Lambert
- Elena McKenzie
- Chloe Blackburn
- Daniel Giptenko
(Students will see Mr Milburn on Monday 23 October)
Re-start a Heart Day 2023
We were delighted that over 185 Rossett students took part in the 10th anniversary of Restart a Heart day on Monday. All of our Year 7 students took part, along with our Year 11 Health and Social Care students; students from all year groups had the opportunity to take part at break and lunchtime.
Restart a Heart is held every October, where thousands of people across the UK, and many more worldwide, come together to increase public awareness of cardiac arrests and aims to increase the number of people trained in life saving CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) and defibrillator use.
To celebrate the 10th anniversary we welcomed some special guests from Harrogate District Hospital and the Ambulance Service. The Head of Resuscitation from HDH, Juliet Quine, lead the sessions assisted by her deputy, a student nurse, an ambulance service employee and, of course, our Rossett First Aid Team members. Thank you to Rossett team member, Mr McKenzie, who produced the video below to celebrate our ten year involvement with this campaign. Hundreds of students over the past ten years have received training in the vital skill.
Year 7 Pantomime Visit
Can you help? Treasurer Needed for Rossett PTA
Can you help our small but enthusiastic PTA? We are seeking a treasurer to help our existing team keep track of our day to day finances. You would not have to attend meetings or get involved in events but if you could spare a small amount of time to record and update our records we would be very grateful for your help. No real financial experience is necessary just a basic grasp of Maths will do!
Please contact Mrs Phelps HERE. if you can spare some time.
Your School Lottery is a weekly lottery that raises money for schools in the UK. Tickets for the lottery cost just £1 per week, with a top prize of £25,000. Each ticket will consist of six numbers and each number will be between 0 and 9. There will be a draw every Saturday night when a six digit winning combination will be picked. Match all six and you can win the jackpot. Winners will be sent an email notification of their success.
Fixtures for next week
What's happening next term...
Friday 27 October
- End of half term
Monday 6 November
- Return to school
Thursday 9 November
- Year 11 Parents' Evening
Thursday 16 November
- Year 13 Parents' Evening
Friday 17 November
- Children in Need
Thursday 23 November
- Year 10 Parents' Evening
Thursday 30 November
- Presentation Evening 2023
Thursday 7 December
- Year 7 Disco organised by Rossett PTA
Wednesday 13 December
- Whole School Careers Fair 9am-1pm
Thursday 14 December
- Winter Warmer Concert: Main Hall
Friday 15 December
- Christmas Jumper Day
Friday 22 December
- Last day of term