Rossett News Update - 19 January 2024
Headteacher Friday 5 Awards
Well done to all of the students who received a Friday 5 Headteacher's Award this week. These students have been nominated by members of staff for exemplifying Rossett School's 5Rs culture of learning. This week's winners are:
- Keira McKenna
- Nancy MacEwan
- Kate Barker
- Betsy Fazan-Fryer
- Samantha Amper
- Daniel Proctor
Year 9 Options 2024
The year 9 Options Process has commenced. Please find relevant details below:
- Friday 19th January – Form Time – Assembly with Mr Royles for Year 9s – Options Launch
- Monday 22nd January – e-mail with link to Options Booklet, website and example Options form to students.
- Monday 22nd January – e-mail to parents, which explains options process and provides the relevant links
- Monday 22nd January – Form Time – Assembly with Mr Stone for Year 9s – Options Logistics
- Monday 22nd January – Thursday 1st February – KS4 style lesson delivered in one lesson per subject at KS3
- Monday 22nd January – Thursday 1st February – Individual student meeting with member of SLT to give support and guidance around options subjects
- Thursday 1st February – Year 9 parents' evening – opportunity for parents and students to discuss options with their teachers
- Friday 2nd February – Official options form e-mailed to students at 9am
- Wednesday 7th February – 9am – deadline for return of option choices from students
Student Leadership Team host North Yorkshire Police
This week the Student Leadership Team hosted North Yorkshire Police and its Community Safety Partners who presented ‘Virtually There – one knife destroys more than one life!’. The organisation's Director, Leon Oldstrong was motivated to create the virtual reality experience after his younger brother was stabbed 7 times in an unprovoked attack. He was 17 years old at the time and fortunately he survived. It was an incredibly powerful Virtual Reality experience, complete with headsets and headphones. As they always do, the students did us proud with thoughtful comments about what they’d seen, probing questions of their own and solutions about how their generation could make a difference.
Rossett First Aid Team
The Rossett First Aid Team are working on their casualty simulation and this week's subject was 'casualties who are suffering from shock'. The team were reminded about the symptoms, signs and possible causes of shock before each group made their casualty up. The teams were also asked to create a believable story for their casualties and asked how they would act this out.
We are looking for new members to join our First Aid Team on Thursday evenings. This is held in P11 straight after school, for year groups 8-13.Students in Year 7 have their own Tuesday first aid lunch club, this is also held in P11 from 13.20.
Year 9 Vaccinations – Monday 5 February
Year 9 parents have been emailed today regarding the DTP (Diphtheria, Tetanus, Polio) and Meningitis ACWY vaccinations which will be taking place at Rossett on Monday 5 February 2024. The online consent form can be found by clicking the link in the email. Parents who do not wish to consent to these vaccinations should complete a formal NO consent via the same link here:. Year 9 parents should read the email for further information.
Next week's PE fixtures...
PE Stars of the Week...
Harrogate Clothes Bank is run by volunteers and supports those in need by providing FREE, good-quality pre-loved clothes. No referral or appointment is necessary. They currently have in stock warm winter coats for adults and children and selected items of school uniform. The Clothes Bank is situated on Hornbeam Park and is open each Wednesday between 10am and 12pm and every second Saturday of each month, also between 10amand 12pm.
What's happening this term...
Monday 22 -Friday 26 January
- Year 9 Options Week
Thursday 25 January
- Year 8 Theatre trip
Friday 26 - Friday 2 February
- Year 11 mock exams
Thursday 1 February
- Advance notice of period swap: Period 2 and 5 to enable adequate supervision for Year 11 exams
- Year 9 Parents' Evening
Friday 2 February
- Advance notice of period swap: Period 3 and 5 to enable adequate supervision for Year 11 exams
Monday 5 February
- Year 9 DTP (Diphtheria, Tetanus, Polio) and Meningitis ACWY vaccinations
- GCSE Geography field trip 1
Wednesday 7 February
- GCSE Geography field trip 2
Monday 12 - Friday 16 February
- Half Term Break