Rossett News Update - 10 June 2022
Student Author Visit
Award winning author, Tom Palmer is visiting Rossett School on Wednesday 22 June from 5.30pm. Tom will be speaking about his life as a writer, sharing tips and ideas for helping students enjoy reading for pleasure and much more. Local, independent book shop 'Imagined Things' will also be in attendance selling copies of Tom's books which he will be happy to sign.
This is a brilliant opportunity to meet the winner of the Ruth Rendell Award for Services to Literacy by the National Literacy Trust. Tom is a very engaging speaker with a unique story to tell and is a passionate advocate for reading, books, libraries and sport. Parents of Year 7 and Year 8 students have received an email this week of how they can attend this event and can email Mr Asker, our Learning Resource Centre Manager to secure a place Sasker@rossettschool.co.uk.
Calling all Maths fans!
Year 11 Examination Notice
As we enter the final two weeks of the 2022 GCSE Examination season, I am delighted to report that our Year 11 students have shown excellent conduct and attitude throughout the past few weeks. In addition, please can we ask for your continued support with the following:
Reminders for the public examinations next week
Students must wear full school uniform to each of their examinations. This must include: school shoes, black trousers or skirt, school shirt, tie and blazer. The Rossett School jumper is optional, but the other items are not and school hoodies are not allowed to be worn.
Equipment for exams
We realise the mornings of examinations are busy and most of our students arrive at their examinations fully equipped. However, a minority arrived without the essential equipment needed to access their exam papers. As a reminder all students need to have at least the following equipment on arrival at each examination:
- 2 black pens - blue pens are not allowed
- 1 pencil
- 1 calculator – except for the non-calculator maths exam
- 1 rubber
- 1 pencil sharpener
- 1 protractor and compass
- 1 ruler
- Coloured pencils for GCSE Design Technology
Year 11 in-school accommodation available until Thursday 23rd June
- Year 11 students will have access to the school building from 8:15am;
- Year 11 students will only be able to enter the school building by the external doors that are next to RC7;
- Year 11 students will then go up the stairs by the external door and have access to Rooms 7, 8, 9 and 10 only.
- At 8:45am, Year 11 students will be sent to their normal Form Rooms;
- Year 11 students should only access these rooms if they wish to prepare quietly. Form rooms are not a social space.
Year 10 and Year 12 End of Year Assessments
As a final progress check students in Years 10 and 12 will complete an end of year assessment in each of their subjects. These assessments will assess a broad range of key threshold concepts/skills, that have been taught over the course of the year, that are important for progression. The assessments will take place in normal, timetabled lesson time between Monday 4th and Friday 8th July.
Students will be informed by their subject teachers next week about how to prepare for these assessments. In the run up to the assessment, home learning will be focused on specific revision activities. All resources will be available for students on 'Teams' in advance. Students will know what topics/skills that will be tested in each assessment and will be advised how best to prepare.
These assessments, along with previous assessments will be used to make a judgement of which grade students are currently working at and inform predicted grades. Most importantly, the information gained from the assessments will enable teachers to establish any gaps in knowledge/skills that have arisen and plan intervention accordingly.
To help you to support your child at home we have attached a short 'Revision Advice' guide here which outlines the key revision guidance that students are given in school.
Banking and Finance Careers Advice for Year 12
On Monday 6th June, Year 12 students were visited by Rebecca Middleton from Hartlaw LLP and Andrew Firth from BNY Mellon. Rebecca, who works in Law, and Andrew who works in Banking are both Rosset Alumni and hey delivered an assembly about their pathway from Sixth Form into their current careers.
Rebecca and Andrew then worked with small break-out groups of students interested in Law and Banking/Finance after the assembly. This half term Year 12 students are focussing on progression in form time, and personal development lessons and opportunities like this are really important to help provide specific subject specialist insights.
Sixth Form Reminders:
- Year 12 Listeners' training takes place on Monday 13th June. Over 40 students are learning the skills required to undertake the role of Listeners, supporting Year 7 students from September 2022.
- Year 12 are attending a UCAS Fair at Leeds Beckett university on Friday 17th June.
- Year 12 work experience from Monday 20th to Friday 24th June.
- Year 11 Sixth Form Taster Day on Friday 24th June. Takes place in our Sixth Form Centre from 8:50am. This is a chance for our current Year 11 students to attend taster lessons for each of their subject choices. All students attending Rossett Sixth Form in September will be attending in addition to any who also want to experience these subjects but have yet to make a final decision.
First Aid Team: New Members Welcome
Our First Aid Team meets every Thursday evening after school and is welcoming new members. Open to all, students learn new skills, gain qualifications and have fun, while supporting our school events and community activities.
Students also have the opportunity to gain St. John's ambulance qualifications which are recognised across other youth organisations and work at different levels to accommodate everyone’s needs.
As well as first aid activities, there is also the opportunity to experience casualty simulation, radio communications, peer teaching, lifting and handling, babysitting course, team building games and involvement in fund raising activities at different events throughout the year. The first aid team is open to all students from Years 7-13 and is a mixed group of boys and girls. If your child is interested, they can contact Ms Rogers email@example.com for more information.
Please note that, due to a Staff Meeting, there will be no after-school clubs or homework club on Tuesday 14 June.
What's happening this half term...
GCSE and A Level examinations continue
Friday 17 June
- Year 12 UCAS Exhibition, Leeds.
Wednesday 22 June
- Year 12 UCAS Information Evening;
- Year 7 and Year 8 student author event.
Thursday 23 June
- Year 11 Celebration Assembly.
Friday 15 July
- Year 12 Runswick Bay Geography Fieldtrip.
Friday 22 July
- End of Summer Term 2022.