Rossett News Update - 15 March 2019
Red Nose Day 2019
Today, students 'dressed-down' for Red Nose Day raising a fantastic £1900 for people living in difficult situations across the UK and around the world. Congratulations to Rossett PE staff who won the staff v students netball competition which was played in fantastic spirit and cheered on by the many spectators in the Sports' Hall. Thank you for your support of this charity event.
This week students in Years 7 -10 have been focusing on careers as part of National Careers Week. Students have found out about the different career pathways that staff at Rossett School have experienced before becoming teachers; they have learnt about the transferable skills that can be gained from all of the jobs that we undertake. In form time they have discussed jobs of the future and investigated jobs that they might be able to do. To help students with their career journey, we have introduced them to Kudos – a careers information platform which can help them discover potential future jobs and opportunities. Kudos can be accessed any time, anywhere. Your child has their own login details if you would like to look at this together.
Prince's Trust Awards
Abbas Hassan attended the prestigious Prince's Trust Awards at the London Palladium this week. We were delighted that Abbas won the Regional Educational Achiever of the Year Award for Yorkshire and was invited to attend the event. With the Prince of Wales in attendance, Abbas was lucky enough to meet many of his heroes, including Manchester United and England star, Marcus Rashford. Well done to Abbas who represented Rossett School impeccably on the day.
We are delighted to invite you to 'Acoustic Night' which takes place on Thursday 28th March 2019. This is a wonderful opportunity to hear 'unplugged' performances from our talented students. Tickets cost £3 and are available from the Finance Office. Doors open at 6.15pm and refreshments will be provided by the PTA.
Six Year 12 students have gained a place on a Cambridge Subject Masterclass organised by the university. These subject-specific events offer students the opportunity to experience typical undergraduate teaching at the University of Cambridge, and to gain a flavour of what it is like to be a student.
The Masterclasses cover a range of subjects and provide students with an opportunity to explore topics of interest beyond what is covered within the school curriculum.
Each Masterclass includes:
- two taster lectures delivered by leading academic staff from the University;
- the opportunity to discuss and ask questions;
- an introduction to the Cambridge admissions process;
- the opportunity to hear about life as a Cambridge student from current undergraduates.
The students are exploring subjects such as Engineering, Philosophy, Politics and Psychology.
Students in Year 13 are currently undertaking a series of ‘Life Skills’ sessions during PSHE. The students have been learning about general car maintenance, putting together flat pack furniture, how to sort their washing and how to iron, cooking a Bolognese and living on a budget. The students are thoroughly enjoying the sessions!
External summer examinations 2019
The summer 2019 provisional external examination timetable is now available on the school website here. This is relevant to students in Years 9-13 and should be consulted for information by students and parents. We remind parents annually that no absences should be planned during this period. I would also like to draw your attention to the results day dates for GCSE and A Level examinations:
- Summer 2019 A Level Results Day: Thursday 15 August 2019
- Summer 2019 GCSE Results Day: Thursday 22 August 2019
Exam Invigilators required
We are looking for additional exam invigilators to join our team for the external examinations this summer. Training will be given.
Exams commence at 9.30am and 1.15pm and invigilators are expected to attend 15 minutes prior to the start of each exam. Invigilators may occasionally be asked to report earlier to help with the setting up of the larger exams.
If you think you may be interested in this type of role please call 01423 564444 and ask to speak to Jennie Jones (Exams Officer).
Co-curricular club of the week
Our Co-curricular Club of the Week is Key Stage 3 Creative Writing Club which takes place every Tuesday (early lunchtime) in R13 with Mrs Taylor. The club is aimed at students who enjoy reading and writing and would like an opportunity to share and develop their work. Some of the club members already write extensively in their own time – others are pure beginners! The club welcomes any students regardless of their ability.
“The reason I came to the club was not because I necessarily enjoyed reading and writing and was good at it – but rather I wanted to improve at this. Now I feel much more confident in my writing and sharing it with others. We have great fun here and it’s a really comfortable environment.” Harkeerat Kaur Hanspal, Year 9.
We write a wide range, from poems to short stories and we enter as many competitions as we can - we’re even working on our own novel. Watch this space! If you would like to join this club, come along on the day or speak to Mrs Taylor in the English Department.
- The U12 Girls' Netball Team who won 12-6 against Harrogate Grammar School;
- The Year 9 Girls' Hockey Team who won 2-1 against King James's School;
- The U15 Girls' Football Team who won the H&C tournament with two wins and a draw.
What's happening next week...
Monday 18th March
- A Level Geography residential departs to the Holderness coastline (Year 12 students).
Tuesday 19th March
- A Level Geography residential to the Holderness coastline.
Wednesday 20th March
- A Level Geography residential to the Holderness coastline;
- GCSE/BTEC Drama students visit Ashville College for a performance of Blood Brothers, 1.15pm-4pm;
- Oxbridge Information Workshop, 10am in the Resource Centre.
Thursday 21st March
- A Level Geography residential returns;
- Year 7 Parents' Evening, 5pm-8pm;
- GCSE English Literature theatre trip to 'The Sign of Four', Harrogate Theatre. Students are requested to meet in the foyer of the theatre at 7.15pm and to be collected at 9.30pm.
Friday 22nd March
- GCSE Music practical examinations, Year 10 and 11;
- Year 13 Geography Masterclass.