Rossett News Update – 29 June 2018
The Music Tour departs today for Italy and their tour around Lake Garda. On Saturday they will perform an evening concert at Piazza Brenzone and on Sunday evening they will perform at the Pastrengo Summer Festival before returning home on Monday afternoon. We look forward to hearing all about their trip!
Sports Day will be held next Tuesday, 3 July. As well as the traditional events, we will also be hosting a ‘Retro’ Sports Day on the 3G which will include an egg and spoon race, 3 legged race and a sack race. Students will also be able to take part in a game of rounders and tug of war. Year groups will take part throughout the day:
Period 1 Year 7
Period 2 Year 10
Period 3 Year 9
Period 4 Year 8
Period 5 The whole school will either compete or watch.
Ice lollies will be on sale during period 5 for 50p each. All students should come to school in full PE kit as everyone has signed up for an event.
Year team for Year 8
Now that Mrs Grimshaw and Mrs Saunders have said goodbye to Year 11s they are looking forward to working with our current Year 7s as they will be taking over as Director of Learning and Student Support Officer from Monday.
Year 9s and 10s have successfully completed their assessments in the majority of their subjects this week. Parents will receive a report detailing their child’s report on 18 July 2018.
Year 7 and 8s reports with their assessment results on 4 July 2018.
News of former students
We have been delighted to hear the following news regarding former students:
- Adam Robertson has graduated with a First class honours degree from Hull University in Biomedical Science.
- Sabelle Groves has graduated with a Master of Science in Applied Mathematical Sciences.
- Dylan Radcliffe awarded a first in his Music degree from Salford and is now looking at completing a Masters focusing on music therapy for children with autism.
- Ashley Thompson (Evans) has graduated with a First class degree in Law with French Law from Sheffield University and has secured a job as a trainee solicitor in London with International Law firm Herbert Smith Freehills.
Year 12 Next Steps Week
Next Steps Week has been a huge success with students taking part in a variety of activities including: community engagement working with Harrogate Council, university trips to Leeds Beckett and York and Careers and Apprenticeships days including the return of many of our alumni to talk about their experience of university, employment and apprenticeships.
Many thanks to the parents and friends of the school who volunteered their valuable time and knowledge helping our students to look at various pathways and careers for their future.
Sixth Form Induction Day Wednesday 3 July
Next Wednesday we will welcome back our Year 11 students for their Sixth Form Induction Day. During the day students will take part in a series of timetabled taster lessons and team building activities. There will also be an Information Evening for parents starting at 7pm in the Sixth Form Centre. This evening is designed to provide parents with the necessary information to support their child through the transition from GCSE to A Level study.
Year 11s and 13s enjoyed their proms last night. We are looking forward to seeing the Year 11s back next week for Y12 Induction Day. Thanks to everyone involved in organising and supporting both events.
Term Dates 2018/19
The school calendar with terms dates and training days for next year is available on the school website – please click the link. Please remember to refer to this calendar only when making plans during the holidays.
What’s happening next week …
- 2-6 July – Year 12 Work Experience
Monday 2 July
- Music tour returns
Tuesday 3 July
- Sports Day
Wednesday 4 July
- Change of school day – Periods 2 & 5 swapped
- Sixth Form Induction Day for Year 11 students
- Year 12 Parents’ Evening – Introduction to Sixth Form
Thursday 5 July
- Hosting Rossett Acre’s Sports Day 9am-12.15pm
- CPR Award training 3.15-4.20pm
- Full Governing Body meeting 7pm
Friday 6 July
- Staff training day – school closed to students
Saturday 7 July
- ABRSM & Trinity Music exams
- DofE Bronze final expedition