Rossett News Update – 23 February 2018
Year 8 Arts Activity Days
Year 8 Arts Activity Days will be taking place on Monday 5 March (Y half) and Thursday 8 March (X half). These are off-timetable days where students will take part in a series of practical workshops across the arts. The sessions will be delivered by visiting professionals and arts practitioners, experts within their field, and it promises to be a fantastic experience for all students. We are asking for a £5 voluntary contribution towards the running of the event which should be returned to the Finance Office as soon as possible. Please click the link for further details.
Congratulations to the Year 7s who raised over £1500 for Lepra! Students took part in a wide range of activities, including a sponsored walk and a cake bake, culminating in a Zumba workout. Individual students who raised £25 or more will be awarded a certificate from the Lepra charity. Thank you to the families and friends of our Year 7s for their support with this fantastic fundraising effort to help the charity combat leprosy.
The ski trip returned at the end of the half term week having enjoyed some excellent skiing in Austria. Students were really appreciative of the staff who organised the trip; the staff reported back that the students were “a credit to the school”.
Year 7s have had an amazing time at Bewerley Park – taking part in new activities, overcoming challenges and making new friends. The activities included climbing at Brimham Rocks, mountain biking, canoeing, bushcraft skills, high and low ropes as well as evening challenges. I would like to take this opportunity to thank the staff involved, in particular Mrs Leeming and Miss Hopkins for leading the trip and Mrs McCabe, Mr Wilson, Mr Sweetman, Miss Sandever, Miss Cull, Mr Pears, Mr O’Sullivan, and Miss Hellawell for their support.
World Book Day – 1 March
Thursday 1 March is World Book Day, a national celebration of reading and books. We have lots of fun activities taking place throughout the week including:
- Year 9 students taking part in the ‘Battle of the Books’; an interschool book quiz which is taking place on Tuesday 27 February at Queen Mary’s School;
- Wednesday 28 February, which sees a visit to Rossett by the owner of ‘Destination Venus’, a comic book store in Harrogate; We will find out about the Excelsior Award for comic books in two lunchtime sessions. It will be a wonderful introduction to the world of comics and ‘Manga’;
- Our celebrations conclude on World Book Day with a return visit from popular storyteller Susanna Oldfield, performing to Year 7 students. On the day staff will be wearing badges showing what they are reading to encourage conversations about books;
- The English staff are hosting a literary-themed murder mystery game in their department. World Book Day vouchers, that can be used in local bookshops, will be distributed to all students via their Form Tutors.
What’s happening next week …
Tuesday 28 February
- American Exchange Parents’ Evening 5.30pm in the Sixth Form Centre
Thursday 1 March
- World Book Day
- Year 7 Parents’ Evening