Rossett News Update – 24 November 2017
A Level Science Live
A-level physics students will be attending an A-level Science Live event at Whitworth Hall in Manchester on Monday, where they will have the chance to hear from scientists who are working at the cutting edge of their specialisms. This will be an interesting day for our students thinking about choosing specific Science subjects at university and will show them how this can lead to some very interesting careers.
Year 11 Sixth Form ‘Taster’ Day and Information Evening
- This Wednesday Year 11 students attended an assembly to look closely at progression, preparation for at how to get the most from Rossett’s Sixth Form Taster Day in preparation on Friday 1 December.
- Our Taster Day takes place on Friday 1 December when Year 11 students will have the opportunity to sample life in the Sixth Form. During this busy and informative day students will attend ‘taster’ lessons from a range of 30 subjects and have the opportunity to sample the fare from the Sixth Form deli too! Students should wear smart office dress (as for an interview).
- Year 12 and Year 13 students will be engaged in research and study at home on Friday 1 December. Their subject teachers carefully prepare work for all students to complete.
We had an excellent evening this Thursday celebrating the success of last year’s Year 11 at our annual Presentation Evening. Photos from the evening can be found by clicking on the link: http://www.rossettschool.co.uk/10776/presentation-evening-2017/
Rossett will be supporting Save the Children’s Christmas Jumper Day on Friday 15 December.
This will be a non-uniform day with students and staff being encouraged to wear their favourite Christmas jumpers, or decorate an old one. We are requesting a donation of £2.
End of term arrangements
School will finish at 2.10pm on the last day of term – Friday 22 December. School uniform is to be worn on the last day of term. There will be a change to the school day:
Period 1: Normal lesson
Period 2: Celebration assembly for Years 7, 9 and 11
Form time for Years 8, 10 and Sixth Form
Break: Whole school
Period 3: Celebration assembly for Years 8, 10 and Sixth Form
Form time for Years 7, 9 and 11
12.25-1.10 Early lunch for whole school
1.10-2.10 Normal lesson
2.10 Early finish
Christmas dinner will be available on Wednesday 20 December and Thursday 21 December (£1.90 for main/80p for dessert) served by the Senior Leadership Team. The menu is:
Roast turkey with pigs in blankets, bread sauce, watercress, orange and cranberry stuffing
Honey glazed smoked ham with caramelised fruit chutney,
Chestnut, spinach and blue cheese en croute
Herby roast potatoes
Buttered new potatoes
Roasted root vegetables
Sprouts with apricots
Christmas pudding with brandy sauce
Chocolate Yule log
Year 7 Disco – 6.30-8pm – Thursday 14 December
Rossett Sixth Form students are organising a Year 7 Christmas Disco on14 December 6.00-7.30pm in the main school hall. The event is open to all Year 7 students and DJ Dent, a former Rossett student, will provide the music and a tuck shop will be available.
Sixth Form Pathways to Law Programme
This week Rossett Sixth Form students welcomed Rachel Dyson, Solicitor Advocate and Director of FreerAskewBunting Solicitors, as part of the Pathways to Law Programme. She shared her experiences of working in Criminal Law and explained the many different elements of a career in this field. Students were able to ask questions relating to the studies of Law at an undergraduate level.
If any parents/carers would be interested in contributing to the Pathways to Law Programme, this would be warmly welcomed. Please contact Miss Reed, Pathways Coordinator for further information; email@example.com
Message from the PE faculty
Now the cold weather is drawing in, the PE faculty are offering additional PE clothing that can be worn in PE lessons. This branded kit is optional. Please follow the link to order.
Congratulations to ……….
- Leah Waddington (Y12) has raised £370 for Young Carers by busking with her saxophone on Saturday at the Harrogate Christmas Market. Young Carers (Harrogate) is one of our chosen charities this year.
What’s happening next week …
Thursday 30 November
- Sixth Form Information Evening
Friday 1 December
- Sixth Form Taster Day